POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:50:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: scott
Date: 8 Nov 2004 08:02:40
Message: <418f6e70@news.povray.org>
j wrote:
> While "The aim of POVCOMP 2004 is to show the full potential of
> POV-Ray", I am disappointed that objects made in Povray are treated
> equally as objects made with modellers on the assumptions that people
> will spend too much time on modelling (thus neglecting other things)
> and models made in Povray won't be good enough.  I don't object the
> use of modellers but this is not fair to the contestants who will be
> able to deliver, on time, pov models that are comparable to ones made
> with modeller.

But unless your models lend themselves to being made simply in POV, you will
save time by using a modeller and hence be able to spend more time making
your scene look amazing, which is what the judges want IMHO.

Take this shape as an example, it's a sphere with a square cut down the
middle, and all the edges rounded.  It's just one of the sub-objects that
make up an object in my scene.  How long would it take you to do that in POV
code?

I don't think there are that many realistic looking models that are quicker
to do in POV, especially since most things need rounded edges to look right.
It's just too time consuming to do rounds with CSG.

Attachments:
Download 'untitled1.jpg' (4 KB)

Preview of image 'untitled1.jpg'
untitled1.jpg